Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Back in the saddle

I adore horses! The moment I set foot anywhere near one, my heart fills with absolute joy and giddiness!

I grew up being around them nearly full time; and was on a horse before I could walk.

After doing rodeo and the 4-H show circuit, at the lovely capricious age of 17, I decided that I was burnt out and didn't want to be around horses. That lifestyle was decidedly "un-cool". I wasn't a cool kid, and I didn't want to be around anything that would have any chance of making me less so. Which was dumb.

I only rode twice during my college and grad school years; and after landing a consulting gig in Des Moines, I was able again to start riding regularly.

I chose to do hunter jumper b/c riding on a horse as it sails through the air has to be one of the most amazing things EVER!

In the fall of 2010, my horse spooked at a deer and I fell off and fractured my sacrum. That following spring, I dusted myself off, and started taking lessons again; but wasn't in love with the place I was taking them and it's an expensive sport, so I dropped it.

It'd been 3 years (maybe 4!) since I'd been on a horse. A local stable that does Saddle Seat (I'll blog more on that later) in an indoor arena was offering a groupon for 4 lessons. I jumped at the opportunity, and oh my goodness!!! It was SO great to be riding again. It's absolutely therapeutic. It's one of the few activities that I can do where I'm fully in the present moment.

Here's the lovely Paige and I circling around the arena.

Note to self - don't give up on things that bring your soul joy!




No comments:

Post a Comment