Monday, July 20, 2015

Touchstones

I believe in the power of places and things, or what I call touchstones. They have the ability to elicit powerful emotions and bring up memories, regardless of time or space, and feel as if you are reliving them in that exact moment.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am doing Nancy Levin's Jump! Coaching program. The things that she said in her interview on the Tapping Summit; and during the test call were compelling and resonated with me; and I blogged listing off a quick, excited short description of the 10 steps. But the one thing that I didn't mention in my previous post is that she lives in Boulder, CO; and as part of her Jump journey, spent a few days at the St. Julien Hotel. As if I wasn't already leaning towards taking her course; that fact sent electricity through me, as Boulder, and the St. Julien occupy an immense space in my heart of enormous love and fun and laughter, bonding, and growth. But, also one tinged with fear and questions left unasked, things left unsaid. It is a place that I wish I could've been more courageous, and expressed fears, asked questions, and better communicated my needs and expectations. A place, that I jumped; but got snagged. The synchronicity of her naming of all of the places in the world, felt like it was meant for me. And, although the snag exists, having that touchstone, knowing the absolute power of that place and all of the positive memories, and me currently being in a different mind space, paired with the tools and resources I'm going to be learning throughout the course, makes me more confident in my ability to jump and jump and jump into new areas of my life. But this time, without the fear holding me back from asking questions, from using my voice. So, in that way, Boulder is a touchstone.

This weekend, I drove to Overland Park, KS for an ABWA workshop. Kansas City is another city very dear to my heart. And, even though I'd spent a long day, leaving at the crack of dawn and driving through torrential rain on I-35 South, spending a day chock full of learning, and had another 3 hour drive back home, I was absolutely spell bound and pulled to go to the Plaza area (not just to pop into Athleta). I got this feeling that I had to go - as Mick Jagger would say, wild horses couldn't drag me away. I was driven to go and re-walk paths, reminisce, and to go to the benches on the lawns of the art museum, giggle at the giant shuttlecocks, and just stand and breathe deeply, experiencing the moment and the place. And, experiencing peace, love.

It's interesting how certain touchstones hold magic. It's like walking into a room where you can still smell hints of cologne or perfume; and be instantly transported back to certain moments in time. Where it doesn't seem like years or tears ago; but more like yesterday. Proof that what you lived actually happened. Touchstones are places where you can tap into who you were, what makes you glow, what makes you strong, what makes you happy. And, also into what makes you grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment