Friday, July 17, 2015

Heart Strings



The past week at work has been really stressful. I'm helping to organize a large Forum in September; and it feels like we're miles behind the 8 ball. This is one of the largest events I've been involved in planning; and it's definitely got my anxiety on high.

But yesterday; all of that anxiety and everything I've been making a big deal over, seemed minutely insignificant. We had a fabulous guest speaker at our ABWA luncheon, who talked about networking, and the value of building relationships. And, that one way he builds relationships is by asking how he can help whoever he meets. He relayed the story, that one of the ppl he met is the program director for the Booster program, which helps provide food and snacks to underprivileged kids. And, how that they were expanding out beyond breakfast and lunch, because the kids were going hungry for dinner. But, that they were seeing a huge drop off after kids went to the 4th grade; because at that age is when they started to get teased by the other kids about getting free meals. And, that the kids would rather go hungry than receive the food. My eyes well up, and my heart hurts again just typing this out. The core of me aches for those kids. I was bullied throughout elementary through junior high; and it pisses me off how mean kids can be. I don't want any kid to ever be bullied. Especially over something so essential for living. So, the speaker told of how the request the lady made of him was b/c he's a runner, if he could donate any of the drawstring race bags that he had, or knew of a company that would be willing to do so. They needed 50 of them to put the meals in. That way they'd be cool, discrete, and the bullies would be none the wiser. He immediately went to Facebook and posted a request; and lo and behold, 500 drawstring bags poured in via donation. What a fabulous impact!!! So, I've made it my mission now that whenever I meet someone, or close a conversation with people I do know to ask how I can help them. Pay it forward.

My heart broke a second time yesterday, when one of my clients told me that he was recently diagnosed with cancer. I held it together when he told me; but when I came home, I broke down. I'm heartbroken; but mostly I'm angry. Angry that he has to go through this. This man isn't just a client. He's my friend. And, this is my first experience with someone that I know and am personally close with, who is vivacious and has a lot of life yet to be lived being diagnosed. He's healthy, active; and I KNOW that he's going to kick this. Like he said, it's not a death sentence. He just has to get it eradicated. I think the best way that I can help him is to continue to bring positivity, healthy activity, and interact with and see him as absolutely thriving. I am an uplifter. Of course, I'll be asking him how I can help. But, I know that one of the best things is to help him see his strengths.


No comments:

Post a Comment