Monday, June 8, 2015

Weekend Racing Update: Weimarunner K9 5K

This past weekend was my 2nd 5k in a row. I was so looking forward to the Weimarunner K9 5K, because Gidgey would get to run with me! We ran it in 2013; and were the 2nd girl/dog duo to finish; placing first in my age division. I can't recall why we didn't race last year, I think it was because of my glute pain issue....but, after last week's Dam 2 Dam race high, I was eager to do it again!

Of course, I wanted Gidget and I to win. But, I didn't know where we stood....Two weeks ago, Gidget had a limp that slowed her running pace down. And, every year, she goes through this phase, where she'll start out running strong, and then for a period of two or three weeks, poke along. I always fear that that year will be the last of her fast running days...and, this year, I was even more concerned given her limp. So, I kind of put placing first on the back burner.

I had had a heavy week of training clients, so, Gidget and I ran two or three times at an easy pace through the week. I wanted to keep her in shape; but not overdo it.

On race day, I woke up (not as early as I wanted to go through my pre-race routine without being rushed); and we headed over to Raccoon River Park where the race was going to be held. Gidget and I run this 3.1 mile loop pretty much on a weekly basis. So, she's totally familiar with it. I love that it's in nature, and that half of the trail is pea gravel and the other half paved. I love that with every week it looks different with the changing of the seasons, the growth of the trees, the river level, and the birds.

We got to the starting area, and there were probably 20 other dogs there. Most of them weimaraners, b/c the hosting organization was the Iowa Weimaraner Rescue. Of course, I couldn't help  but check out the competition. Weims are very athletically built dogs, as were a few of the German Shorthair Pointers that were there. So, based upon looks, I felt that we'd have some stiff competition. I'm sure that if others were doing the same, they saw Gidget as this redhaired, not super sleek dog, and might have guessed she'd be slower than her svelte counterparts.

We made our way to the starting line, and the race director shouted out that people with dogs should move to the back. I deliberately didn't listen because there was no way I was going to line up behind the strollers and walkers. So, myself and a few other people running with dogs lined up near the front. This guy with a gorgeous silver and white pit bull lined up behind us, and his dog was super nervous and started making Gidget fidget. We weren't in line long when the air horn sounded, and off went the hounds! We broke really well, Gidget running on my right side in the grass. The pit bull behind us, and to the front of us, was this one man running with one weim and another dog. The trio completely tore off the starting line and looked like mayhem practically dragging their dude. Gidget was in total competition mode and kept going longer with her strides, and faster, so that we were in the top 4 (one solo guy runner, and two guys running with dogs). About 1/4 mile in, I felt someone on my butt....and that annoyed me, because the whole trail was wide open....we were covered in forest, so there was no point in drafting. That made Gidget nervous too, making her go faster, and my quads were screaming! I instantly regretted the squats and lunges and three workouts I'd done on Thursday with clients. And, for a brief moment mentally, I thought that I might not be able to keep up. I dug down, and then looked to my left and realized the person dogging me was a girl runner sans dog, and she continued on our heels for about 100 feet before breaking away. I didn't want to let her out of my sight; but I didn't want to burn out playing chase either.

A man covered in tattoos and body piercings running with a weim passed us and settled in about 25 feet ahead of us. I zoned in on him, and used him as my pacer. About a mile and a half in, I looked behind me to see what the pack looked like, and there was only one other woman, about 25 feet behind Gidget and I. I made it my mission to not let her catch us.

At two miles in, I was kind of hurting. My body was tired, my arm holding the leash was tired. And, I prayed Gidget wouldn't slow down so that I wouldn't have to urge her along and tug on the leash, because that's really tiring. And, I didn't want to fall another place behind, because that would be mentally tiring. I looked behind me again, and we still had a big lead on all the rest of the pack. I felt pretty comfortable in knowing that we likely wouldn't be passed from behind.

At two and a quarter miles, the tattooed man and his dog started slowing down, and we overtook him at 2.5 miles. As we passed him, I told him "good job." And, he reluctantly looked at me and was like "yeah, you too."   :) I LOVE passing people when I'm running. It's such a fun feeling of accomplishment, especially if they're someone who's passed me earlier in the race. Gidget loved passing them too! As we went past them, she looked up at me and smiled, with a look seemingly saying, "Yeah mom! We did it! Picked them off! Onward!"

At 2.75, the trail started getting a little more crowded as we rounded into the picnic area, with people who weren't racing; but just strolling. I was concerned when a couple with a little shih tzu on a retractable leash were moseying along. As I mentioned in my previous post about racing. I get really angry when people get in my way. Thankfully, they realized a race was going on, and drifted into the grassy area.

We raced to the finish line, and Gidget, LOVED all of the applause! I was SO SO proud of her I damn near cried as my heart burst with emotion. She pulled out all of the stops. Ran the hardest she has in over a year. And did it all with a great big smile on her cute little face :) AND, she did it on her 7th birthday!

After the race, we headed to the two kiddie pools that had been put out, and Gidget drank a few sips and then put all four of her paws in the water like she was cooling them off. :)

She was particularly enamored with her gift bag that we won for being the first girl/dog duo. The schwag was really fantastic! A doggie bed (which we'll have to trade in for a Gidget sized one :)), milk bones, meat treats, and a couple of toys from Petsakes. We also got a medal. Thank you to the Iowa Weim Rescue for putting on such a fun race!


Gidget Checking Out Her  Loot 

Race Stats

No comments:

Post a Comment