Monday, June 8, 2015

Click Your Heels Three Times

I'm not the most coordinated of individuals. My dad often referred to me in a teasingly sarcastic sense as "Graceful Lil". I was always a lanky string bean, and from 4th grade on, I grew up being one of the tallest girls in school. It's all relative though....I mean, I'm approximately 5'6", which in New Mexico is tall for a woman. Despite my early gangliness, I've become much more dexterous over the course of my life.

Sure, I'll end up with random bruises and trip over my own feet from time to time. But, overall, my athleticism has improved. Well, three years ago, that got to my head, and in Icarian fashion, I pulled some silliness while riding my bike, totally ate it in the middle of an intersection - phone a flying, handlebars twisting, and ended up with scraped knees, and an ugly bruise on my right thigh that lasted for months. Not to mention what it did to my pride. Thankfully, it was an early morning ride, and only one person witnessed it (had it been any worse, I was lucky I was directly across from the Fire Station). But, I sobbed and wobbled my way home, feeling every downward pedal.

That was enough to kind of make me a little bit leery for a bit (not that I'm Evil Kineavil or anything that daring). But, it was enough to make me not buy clip in bike shoes. I already wobble when approaching a stoplight or stop sign...I didn't want to feel like my feet were nailed down to anything lest I need to make a quick escape.

So, when I mentioned to my family that I had bought clip in pedals I got from every single person a cautionary "you better be careful" schpiel. (I got the same finger wagging, and bets of broken bones when I bought my skateboard last fall).

I'm tuning that out. And, I'm SO glad I did. Riding my skateboard has been fun (I've only scratched the surface - figuratively speaking, not literally.) I can coast and kinda turn. But, my biggest joy occurred yesterday, when I rode my road bike for the first time with my clips!!! (I'd practiced with my clips on my indoor Spinning bike, which obviously has much more stability than being out on an actual bike). So, on my maiden voyage I flew! This is the first time in probably nine months that I've been on my bike. And, it was SO refreshing! I love the wind  in my hair! I love the speed and sailing by the scenery! I love the giddiness and pure fun and the way it makes me feel like a little kid!


And, clipping in and out was a breeze. It was seriously, small little clicks out with my heels. I mean, Dorothy probably clicked her ruby red slippers harder than I have to - but the girl was totally onto something! Clicking your heels takes you to a whole 'nother level! As I rode along the trail, I could hardly believe that such a small thing had held me in fear for so long! I realized that I'd let other people's opinions of my athleticism get into my head. I had let an incident of falling keep me from speeding ahead and trying something new! It was a totally joyful epiphany! It doesn't just apply to bike clips. I mean how many other things in my life have I held back on because of what I think of others' opinions and how that's influenced my self perception? A couple come immediately to mind.

So, I'm ready to clip in, head out, and enjoy a newly rediscovered love for being on my bike and experiencing it in an ever cooler (faster) way than before! And, think about what I can dare to figuratively click into next.

No comments:

Post a Comment