Sunday, July 5, 2015

Inside Out

I just watched the movie, "Inside Out." I'm a sucker for Pixar animated flicks. And, the moment I saw it was about emotions, I KNEW I had to see it.

The synopsis of the movie, essentially is a look into a little girl (Riley's) mind; and how her emotions  (Joy, Anger, Disgust, and Fear) function inside of her brain. I LOVED every second of it! The concept and the animation were awesome; and the voices behind the characters were perfect!

Amy Poehler brought her Leslie Knopes a la "Parks & Recreation" to the character. Where of course, Joy radiated and was happy, go-lucky we can do anything, go get 'em girl attitude! And, Phyllis Smith, aka Phyllis, from "The Office" was just the right melancholy, Eeyore of Sadness. They (along with the rest of the cast) were spot on!

Throughout the movie, I could totally find myself relating to the emotions. But, I could most readily find myself resonating with Joy. I don't like dealing in other emotions. I avoid any confrontational stance like the plague. I want everyone to focus on the happy, the good, the possibility, the joy, the positive, the potential. And, don't like being sidetracked by the other, less optimistic, heavier, sadder, uncomfortable feelings. As I mentioned in my last post "Baby Solstice", it's OK to "feel all the feels." I readily admit, having recently gone through the boot camp of emotions, and that more often than not, I've spent the last few months feeling weighed down by heavier emotions and like a less shiny version of myself. And, learning to express, rather than suppress the other emotions is OK. In fact, it's healthy. Not that we get stuck in the lower vibrating emotions...but, it's OK to feel them, acknowledge them and pass right on through to move to the other side.

The moment when Joy recognizes that Sadness needs to be acknowledged as an important emotion. That Sadness needs to be heard and validated to help bring about happiness, I nearly lost it. You know how sometimes in life you think you've learned a lesson too late? That's exactly how I felt.  That in my rush and high hopes to push positivity and Joy and be an uplifter; and race through (or ignore the muck) that I've disregarded Sadness (both other people's and my own). And, that's disappointing to me. Because I love to be an uplifter! But....sometimes we get completely overwhelmed and aren't our best selves. And, I'm slowly learning to make peace with that.

I also learned from the movie, that sometimes it's OK, and even necessary for you to run on the other emotions, Fear, Anger, Disgust (without Joy) for a little while. And, that's OK, because Joy will always come back. Always. After all, she was the first emotion that Riley was born with. And, that's what all of the spiritual teachers say, is that our purest core, we are Joy & Light & Love....the other emotions are secondary.

As I think about the emotions each playing a driving role, I'm now thinking of how mine act within me...and how I deal with them. I'm always, always grateful for working mine out through physical activity. I've always used physical activity and working out as a way to release emotions....but, lately, I've noticed that I'm tuning into myself more. There will be days where I don't want to go workout; but that's what I need that day...and after the first 10 minutes, I'm breathing deeply and so appreciative to myself for taking that time. I work through endless emotions and thought loops like that. And, it seems the harder I push myself, the more the emotional back log of pent up shit flows out. I process it, and it's less heavy. That feels amazing! 

And, on the other hand, I am gentle with myself too. Sometimes when I tune into myself, when I ask myself what I need; and my honest answer to myself is that I just need to veg. To read, to be a total slug and do nothing, or to just meditate, or go out for nature walks and just soothe. And, I've allowed myself to do that.

One big lesson I've taken away is that I need to check in and ask myself what I need, and make that a priority. In listening and acknowledging what I'm feeling and giving voice to what I'm needing, I'm honoring myself. I'm not pushing things down and avoiding inner conflict. And, I hope, and have noticed that I'm doing it on an interpersonal level more as well.

I definitely recommend seeing the movie. It's fun, lighthearted, and has an important message. It was absolutely awesome to watch, to reflect, and to be inspired. I love the imagination, the authenticity, and the reminder to feel all the feels, while always knowing that somewhere, Joy is inside and rearing to lead the way!



No comments:

Post a Comment