Monday, March 2, 2015

Kid, You'll Move Mountains! It's 98 and 3/4 Percent Guaranteed!

As a kid, I LOVED to read! Any book I could get my hands on, I would voraciously read cover to cover; and likely start all over again.

The funny thing is, I don't really remember reading too many of the Dr. Seuss classics until I was a  a tween.  While at my Grammie's house, my cousins who are about 5-7 years younger than I am, were really into Dr. Seuss and would ask to be read to. And, that's where I got most of my Dr. Seuss reading time in.

And, really, after that, I didn't have any Seuss readings. Then, a few years ago, as we were transitioning from California to Iowa; and I was embarking onto the adventure of going full time with my personal training and health coaching business, a friend sent me the words to "Oh the Places You'll Go!" This simple word document really had a lasting effect on me. I printed it out; and for the longest time, kept it in my in basket on the top of my desk as a go-to whenever I needed a pep talk. Even now, when I'm facing a particularly rough day; or not feeling my mojo, I go to my office closet, and pull out that document, and soak in the Seussisms. Every single one of the lines is fitting; and after reading it, I feel uplifted.

It's so awesome how Dr. Seuss reminds us that we have the ability WITHIN us to blaze our own trail, to make powerful choices, to leave an impact! "Your mountain is waiting, So get on your way!" That line always makes me think of how daunting things can be; but how satisfying it is once you've made the ascent. And, can look down on what you've accomplished and be like, "I did that!" Or, as Miley Cyrus would say, "it's about the climb." Dr. Seuss keeps it real. I don't usually like pessimism; but, this man is genius in putting a spin on words that makes you feel empowered, even when sometimes you won't know what to do, or where to go; or are feeling down and out, "All Alone! Whether you like it or not, Alone will be something you'll be quite a lot, " he makes it feel as though everything is going to be ok. His words make you want to get unstuck! It's like he's cheering you on - the voice saying,

“And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)" With those odds in your corner, why the hell not?! Let's go, we've got mountains to move!!! (I just love the illustrations too!)



And, even though it's not from "Oh, the Places You'll Go!," perhaps my most favorite Seuss quotes is this little gem  that holds true Every. Single. Day.



Happy birthday, Dr. Seuss! Thank you for your positivity and light that continues to shine!

If you happen to be craving some story time, check out this clip of John Lithgow reading"Oh, the Places You'll Go!"It includes the original book; so curl up and read along!


No comments:

Post a Comment