Sunday, March 22, 2015

Cada Dia

This quote has been rumbling through my head as of late. "If you want to write, write. If you want to be a runner, run. If you want to be a speaker, go out and speak. If you want to sing, sing." I'm paraphrasing it, but, in essence, this "go out and actively do whatever you want to do" attitude is  what's been driving me to  dust myself off and get back up on my horse, and ride boldly forward, exploring and growing.

After taking a couple of chances, and feeling paralyzed by not knowing what to do, and just feeling 'meh about not moving forward, I got gun shy. My head and my heart were scrambled; and now it's time to be brave again. To find clarity through listening to my heart and what brings me happiness. No playing small. No getting derailed by outside forces, people, or opinions. I recognize my experiences, my talents, my voice, are unique to me. And, while others may share similar paths, philosophies, stories, the commonalities make them relatable; but they don't make them the same, because everybody is different. Everybody's story is unique; all while we're common in our human condition.

As readers, as creators, we all have our own background, experiences, judgements, perspectives that we bring to the table that influence what we perceive. So, reading a story can mean one things to many, and many things to one. There's  place for it all. There aren't a limited number of spots at the table. There are infinite pieces of the pie, and I'm here to claim mine!

Last May, we went to Key West and visited Ernest Hemingway's home.


Me Bonding With One of  the Famous 6 Toed Cats at Hemingway's
Since freshmen year of high school, when my English teacher, Mister Jenkins introduced us to "The Old Man and The Sea," and "For Whom The Bell Tolls," I was absolutely smitten with Hemingway's writing style. Short, to the point sentences, that make you feel the realm of emotions. For the longest time, (and recently I am reminded of its timeless beauty), the elegant, profound simplicity of: "Courage is Grace Under Pressure."


Learning Hemingway's colorful history was really interesting. From his being a soldier in the war, to being in Paris with all of the other great literary expats, writing for newspapers, to penning novels, drinking, hunting, fishing, traveling the world, the women he loved and lost, throughout the years, the man lived a big life.

The one thing that's stuck with me from touring his place, was visiting his writing studio. His mantra, "cada dia," which translates to every day....and that's what he believed in, no matter what, writing. Every. Single. Day. Even, if it was a crap day, just get in there and write.

Hemingway's Writing Studio, Key West
Yes, some people are more gifted with writing than others.....but, the act of making it a habit to write something daily, is what eventually brings you success. Like with anything else, it's consistency that matters.

Another bit of Hemingway's writing advice is if you have difficulty writing to start off by "writ(ing) one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know." One true statement of mine is that I want to be a writer. I want to make an impact through my thoughts and words. And, I'm vowing to myself, in one way or another, I will be writing cada dia. Every day, in some fashion, something.

As food for thought, below are a few of my favorite Hemingway quotes. If I could go back in time and interview anyone, having a drink at Sloppy Joe's with EH would definitely be top of my list.

What's your favorite Hemingway novel or quote?




















No comments:

Post a Comment