Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Stoking the Fire

A question that's been frequently rolling through my mind is: What drives you?

What makes you want to hop out of bed each day and OWN the day?! What makes you giddy with anticipation? What sparks your fire and passion? What is it that you can't wait to do?

Granted, not everyday is going to be a 10 on the excitement meter...but what happens when you're stuck primarily in the lower range? 

How do you stoke the fire? 

While I feel that within most days that I have moments that register 7-8-9 on the eagerness scale, I realize that there's SO much room for me to grow. There's plenty of kindling of ambition waiting to be lit to a roaring flame. I have SO much potential just waiting to combust! So, what am I waiting for? 

So, over the course of the last several weeks, I've sat down with my thoughts and listed what makes me feel alive:  

  • Moving (whether it's working out, dancing, walking - any activity fires me up)
  • Helping others be their best, healthy, fit selves
  • Writing 
  • Being creative
  • Being around animals
  • Traveling
  • Socializing
  • Learning new things

And, I've made more of dedicated effort to be involved in a majority of these things on a daily basis. 

Moving
I see it as an ongoing changing dynamic - my training schedule always changes based upon my clients (working out with them and their goals) and my own personal goals and workout schedule. 

I'm 7 weeks into a 12 week personal fitness challenge and am feeling fitter, stronger, and more agile than I've felt in awhile. 

Helping others be their best, healthy, fit selves
Two weeks ago, I started a new position as a Health Coach Coordinator, which allows me the opportunity to coach more people at one time than I've ever had the opportunity to be in front of before. Last week was my first week of coaching; and it was awesome! It drove home for me that this is what I love to do and am here to do in terms of making a difference in the world. 

Given that I'm now at my desk more than I've been used to in a while, it's important that I move throughout the day (and practice what I preach!) that's become important to me. 

Writing
Having this blog has gotten me to write more than I have in months. And while I feel it's a slow start; things are moving. It's lead me to investigate writing opportunities that I'd put on the backburner. I'm truly excited about learning more and jumping into an exciting new venture! 

Being Creative
For right now, this blog is my creative outlet. Along with some painting. I need and want to start getting back into coloring again. 

Being Around Animals
I've found that I'm more compassionate towards animals than I am people. I've always been a big softy when it comes to any animal. Darn it, I'm the person who cries not only at the Sarah McLaughlin SPCA commercials; but also during videos of animals in their pure, natural living. I can't explain how it touches the depths of my soul. It just moves me profoundly. Three or four years ago, I was horseback riding on a weekly basis and I loved every second of it! However, horses are an expensive habit; and that's not really an option at the moment. So, I need to find another avenue. I would love to volunteer in some capacity with animals. And, I will be adding that to my list. In the meantime, I'm going to be loving on my two fur babies. 

Traveling
Ahhhhh, this is what I am currently missing in my life the most. I have a draft of a post that hits on this that I'll be posting soon. But, this is an area of my life I really need to spend some time and attention on. And, I'm hopeful that my new venture will allow me to flourish here. 

Socializing
I enjoy talking and being out and about meeting people. That's why it's great that my job revolves around people. I can't wait for it to be warm enough to start tennis up again. In the time being, I would like to reach out more to friends to hang out and do things with. 

Learning New Things
I've focused some of my time lately on learning new things. Or, in the case of Spanish, brushing up on something I at one time knew. I bought a longboard, and when it's warm enough outside and there's not slush or snow, I've been teaching myself how to skateboard. And, I was part of a trial on Spanish learning methods featuring a new way of teaching. So, I really want to dive into that and become fluent in Spanish this year. 

Also, in my new working role, I'll be mentoring other coaches. Which, I'm totally looking forward to because I think there's such an exchange of information back and forth that everybody learns. 

So, that's where I'm currently at. Striving to enjoy the present and eagerly anticipate what's to come each day. Stoking the fire; and so ready for it to burn brightly! 



No comments:

Post a Comment