Monday, September 14, 2015

Creation through Stories



I just got off of my regular Monday morning Manifesting group skype chat; and I am feeling amazing! This group truly makes a positive difference in my life that I absolutely love! As the quarter has gone on, and we approach the last two weeks of our group, some have dropped off; but otherwise, the core group is on, and it's amazing how much fun we create just by essentially playing make believe!

As a kid, I don't think that I was all that creative. I loved playing Barbies and with My Little Ponies; and played dress up and teacher. I wrote some stories, but, I didn't spend a lot of time playing make believe.

So, as an adult it's a little bit harder to get into. But, being around several people who do it and make it easier and fun makes a big difference!

I heard an interview the other day talking about how we each are story tellers. And, that's true. We are. But, we often don't think of ourselves in that light. Or, if we're asked to tell a story, it sometimes feels like the pressure is on.

I remember the first time as an adult that I successfully spun a yarn. It was on a road trip; and my friend encouraged me to tell the continued tale featuring the characters of "Lonesome Dove." At first, I started out tentatively, fearing that my story would sound silly or be boring. But, with some encouragement, I built up momentum, and ended up having a ton of fun!

This weekend, I was reading DSM magazine, and in it, they did a featurette on a story telling group that anybody can come and participate in each month. The topic is given out 2 weeks in advance, and apparently, you just show up and be the bard. That sounds simultaneously amazing and scary. I think I'll give it a try!

Also, this weekend, our neighborhood had a block party; and my neighbor shared his story of coming from a Turkish orphanage to now being a sought after ballet choreographer. It was such an incredible story that followed the law of attraction. I think it should be written and would make a fantastic book!

It doesn't matter whether our stories are epic rags to riches tales, or if it's just our story. Each one is different, unique, and something only we can tell from our individual perspective, with our own perceptions and retelling of what we experience. Even if we live the same thing, or hear the same thing, no two people are going to tell it exactly alike. And, that is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment