Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What Would a 4 Year Old Do?

Last week, I went to my third energy pyramid healing event. Each experience is so different energetically; and this one was particularly different because of the participants. It was a small group, so we spent a fair amount of time talking about the day's topic: Blossoming Into Yourself, and how it relates to us.

I had just started reading Louise Hay's & Robert Holden's "Life Loves You" book. And, in it, I've learned some really interesting things. For example, a kid asks about 390 questions a day....whereas adults ask significantly fewer. Think about it....as we grow older, we fear asking questions. Fear asking because of looking dumb, fear of asking the "wrong/stupid" questions, fear of maybe not wanting to know the answers.

Louise and Robert recommend settling back into that state of childlike wonder and curiosity and to begin asking more questions throughout the day. To be in a state of inquiry. Not be afraid of not knowing, and to just jump right in and start asking who, what, where, why, with a genuine feeling of curiosity.

I've started doing that a little bit more over the past week. I'm not much of a question asker. I do ask my clients a lot of questions, and I truly loved whenever I've been involved with a hiring or selection committee. Paradoxically, unless I know somebody on a deep level do I really feel comfortable asking lots of personal questions. I think it stems from being taught that asking people personal questions is being too forward, not minding your own business, being a nuisance.

So....usually during the pyramid events, I keep my eyes closed while listening to the music and meditating. But, as Deb played her various bowls, the flute, and gong, I became more and more curios about her method. Previously, I thought it might be rude to stare and figure out what was going on....but then, I asked myself, "What would a 4 year old do?" And, my answer was, "They would keep their eyes open and watch Deb as she plays!" So, I did! And, it really gave me a greater sense of appreciation of Deb's talent and a deeper feeling of being involved in the whole thing. I wasn't afraid of her looking up and catching me watching. I wasn't concerned with not being in a state of meditation, I just wanted to experience with all of my senses what was going on around me! And, it was awesome!

In reading another chapter in "Life Loves You", Louise and Robert brought up another point that deeply resonated with me. What would you guess is the word most commonly learned first by little kids? (I don't have kids; and haven't spent much time around them....so I figured momma/dadda/eat) but it's NO. And, thinking about how often I tell Gidget, "No." She probably thinks her full name is Gidget NO NO Childress. But, it totally struck a chord with me. They don't advocate that kids shouldn't ever hear the word no. Rather, they encouraged how to say yes. And, I love that, because I ADORE the premise of: "If you say YES to the Universe, the Universe Says Yes to You!" (see previous post). So, it got me thinking about how much resistance I'm currently holding onto and not letting Yes' flow into my life? I'm still pondering that....but, for right now, I'm really interested in playing with how I can say YES to my inner child. By asking myself, "What would a 4 year old do?"

Here are a couple of pictures of me around 4 years old that have some great reminders for me to carry with me no matter how old I am.





I like how I'm smiling and holding onto the phone. I'm probably talking with my Grandma or Grandpa. I love how I'm wearing my favorite underoos: Daisy Dukes. This picture reminds me to connect, chat with others, remain in contact with my biggest supporters, and rock my favorite pieces of clothing.






And, this picture paints a thousand words. I love how I'm sitting on top of the world, my first horse, Juan, as proud as can be. Unafraid, posing for the camera, and smiling hugely. It represents going out and having fun, being courageous, and having the "I can do it! Just watch!" attitude.


What messages do  you get from your 4 year old self? How can you plan to say yes to being more genuinely curious, playful, and inquisitive throughout your day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment