Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mowing Meditation

As I type this, I'm looking out of my office window, watching a man ride by on the lawn mower, and another one with the trimmer grazing the side of the house. Part of me is relieved, because with my new coaching position I have less time during the work day for other activities. And, Gary wants to have the house always at the ready for prospective buyers. Yet, another part of me is sad.

You might be wondering, "Why the heck are you sad about not having to mow the lawn?!" Truth is, I really enjoy doing it. I love being outside, popping my earbuds in, and listening to Spotify, Abe Hicks, Ted talks. Most times, I'm by myself. Sometimes, I put Gidget's leash on and let her walk by my side. She adores being my lawn mowing helper. It's an hour and a half of moving meditation. A chance for me to be outside, lost in my thoughts, and doing something methodic.

I'd never operated a lawn mower prior to us buying this house. So, for 33 years of my life, I had NO idea how relaxing, and what a great workout it could be. To me, doing house work is a drag. I'd much rather be outside. So, Gary and I made a deal, that he would do the inside house work, and I would do the outdoor house work. In the winters I'd shovel snow, and spring/summer, mow the grass. And, I know to most, it doesn't sound like fun. But, there's something about seeing the progress, of seeing the gray concrete of the driveway showing through layers of snow. Or, seeing the clean look of almost baseball field like green as I make my way across the lawn. It's a feeling of satisfaction. It's a feeling of getting a workout in, or meditating while being outside.

So, as I watch the lawn care guy zip around on the mower, I feel a sense of wistfulness. And, wonder if he finds it as satisfying as I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment