Thursday, March 5, 2015

Say YES to the Universe; and the Universe will say YES to you!

I really dislike being told, "No." It truly has to be one of my least favorite statements in the world.

I've come to realize when I hear "no", my response ranges on the negative spectrum from frustrated, angry, disenchanted, like I'm ramming my head against the wall. I can truly feel the vein in my forehead start to stick out, as its neighboring blood vessels shrink, their life force being taken from them.

Especially if it's related to something I really want. I don't have kids; but, imagine if you will, how a parent of a 2 year old who repeatedly and obstinately says "NO!" might react. Yep. That's me. I roll my eyes (uggghh), or open them widely in disbelief (whaa?) Depending on what it is, I might argue my case for why it should be a "YES!" I don't know exactly how long I've had this aversion to "no." Probably for a long time, as my gut reaction causes me to think that it's been ingrained in me for a very long time. And, I promise, as a kid, I wasn't a spoiled brat who got everything that I wanted or had my way all the time.

To me, no is just so final. And, I know if you're in sales, the adage about "it's not a no, it's just a not right now." I have trouble buying that. BUT, the hopeful, optimistic side of me really wants to believe in that, and in fact, hangs onto that for so long.

"No" is so black and white. It shuts out possibilities. Maybe, I feel like a "no" is a rejection of me, whether it be me, in and of myself, or a rejection of my thoughts, or opinions or anything that I associate with. Maybe that's why I don't like it. Because I associate it with rejection. And, again, a sales person will tell you that a no isn't personal....I'll work on that. But, really, I'm talking in much broader brush strokes than sales. I'm talking about life in general!

I like options! I love possibility! I don't care (as much) if someone says "no" and offers another option. Like, "no" BUT, x, y, z. It's kind of like when someone comes to you with a problem, and just states the problem, but doesn't offer a solution. Come on! Play with me here! Whatcha' got?! Let's find a solution! Let's brainstorm! I think that many of us say no as an autoresponse. "No, I'm too busy." "No, I don't think I'll like that." "No. No. No."

And, I like AND's.  Again, it's that possibility thinking. It sounds much better than either/or.

Of course, context and tone have a lot to do with how these are conveyed; but, generally speaking, those are my feelings.

One of the quotes that I LOVE is "Say YES to the Universe; and the Universe will say YES to you!"

Truly, reading that, believing in that, makes me smile and genuinely fills me with joy, and hope, and sparkles!  It doesn't mean always saying YES; or saying YES to things that downright at their core don't feel good to you. It means that once you're open to possibilities, to not just say "no" because it's easier, or it's your habit, that the whole world, opens up to YOU!

Think of all of the awesome things that have happened when you've said YES. All of the cool people, opportunities, chances. They might not have been easy affirmatives....but, by saying YES to something, you ended up with something different than if it had been a no.


No comments:

Post a Comment